Thursday, August 22, 2013

As A Child

One of my favorite stories from General Conference was told by President Henry B. Eyring. It was given in the General Conference session back in April 2006 in his talk titled "As a Child." I remember this talk for many reasons, and to this day it is still one of my favorite talks. One reason why I remember this talk is because of the Spirit I felt when Pres. Eyring shared this story. I remember feeling that I could turn to the Lord for help whenever I needed it. I most likely won't get my prayers answered the way that I want them to be answered, BUT  I knew God was listening. This is the personal experience he shared:
 
 "Once, for instance, I prayed through the night to know what I was to choose to do in the morning. I knew that no other choice could have had a greater effect on the lives of others and on my own. I knew what choice looked most comfortable to me. I knew what outcome I wanted. But I could not see the future. I could not see which choice would lead to which outcome. So the risk of being wrong seemed too great to me.
I prayed, but for hours there seemed to be no answer. Just before dawn, a feeling came over me. More than at any time since I had been a child, I felt like one. My heart and my mind seemed to grow very quiet. There was a peace in that inner stillness.
Somewhat to my surprise, I found myself praying, “Heavenly Father, it doesn’t matter what I want. I don’t care anymore what I want. I only want that Thy will be done. That is all that I want. Please tell me what to do.
In that moment I felt as quiet inside as I had ever felt. And the message came, and I was sure who it was from. It was clear what I was to do. I received no promise of the outcome. There was only the assurance that I was a child who had been told what path led to whatever He wanted for me.
I learned from that experience and countless repetitions that the description of the Holy Ghost as a still, small voice is real. It is poetic, but it is not poetry. Only when my heart has been still and quiet, in submission like a little child, has the Spirit been clearly audible to my heart and mind." ("As A Child" Ensign, May 2006) Read the talk HERE

Have you ever been on your knees pleading for Heavenly Father to tell you what to do? I know I have several times in my life. If you are seeking for direction in your life, might I suggest you get on your knees? Plead with your Father in Heaven for direction. Repent, change, submit yourself to HIS WILL and HIS DIRECTION. He will guide you! I know that He will answer your prayers and give you direction! You are HIS child! He loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment